Thursday, October 6, 2011

Black market and adoption

Here you will find an article about black marketing babies in Spain from the 60's to 89.  http://www.businessinsider.com/spains-stolen-baby-scandal-2011-10
The setting may be Spain, but it is a story that might as well be the US.  As it has happened here too. Georgia Tann black marketed babies in this fashion from the 20's-50's and she is only one of those who did. There have been others who have done the same, such as http://colebabies.stormpages.com/ and today it has happened in surrogacy. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/ma_and_pa_operation_5T6oMVXk5I15kVt6buVl6H

What do these all have in common? MONEY,,proof of the old adage "money is the root of all evil". Some see it as a "catch 22",,,I guess I do too. I'll explain my thinking.

 When my doctor announced to me that I would probably never be able to get pregnant again, the first call I made was to my mom. Not my husband because this news needed to be made face to face, and I had a real fear he would not want to stay married to me after hearing I couldn't produce a child for him. Geesh, looking back on the feeling makes me laugh,,,where did I come up with that thought??? My mom listened to my broken heart and  tried to cheer me up by saying "this is not the end of the world, you do have other options in which to become a mommy,,the only difference between you and that child will be your gene's".  I wasn't sold right away, as I truly did want to give birth again.  After a couple of years we started moving towards adoption to build our family. I jumped into it whole heartily, and absorbed myself 100%. I researched it, educated myself and truly understood what we needed to do. One thing that became very clear is we were going to need major bucks because long gone were those days where you just put your name on an agency list and waited. Back in the 50's 60's and 70's adoption didn't cost that much, and no one was profiting from it. Other then the black market scum buckets that is.  Now a days, potential adoptive parents have no choices but to pay $20,000-$50,000 and some times even more to do an adoption.

Although we never paid anywhere close to that, I have learned our adoptions were the exceptions, and when it came to us doing an adoption, it became extremely important for us to do an ethical and legal one. I never wanted to look in my children's eyes and have to tell them "we bought you".  But as I said before, 90% of the people have no choice in the manner. Because babies have become commodities.

So,  "If the money wasn't such a great draw in adoption" maybe these kind of scams wouldn't happen?  YES!! Will we ever be able to do away with it? Sadly NO!  We will continue to hear about these cases and the ones who were adopted will continue to be hurt by this. What is wrong with us?

Dear God, please forgive us  for the ugly we have allowed in adoption.





No comments:

Post a Comment